Rabat – Shortly after Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu arrived at Budapest Airport in the early morning hours of April 3, Hungary announced that the process of withdrawal from the International Criminal Court (ICC) would begin.
“Hungary will withdraw from the ICC,” said Gergly Gulyas, chief of staff of Prime Minister Viktor Orban. “The government will initiate the withdrawal process on Thursday according to the constitutional and international framework.”
In November 2024 the ICC had output The arrest previously committed in Gaza for Netanyahu and his former Defense Minister Yoav Gallant for crimes against humanity and war crimes from October 2023 to May 2024.
Timing is anything but accidental.
As a member of the ICC, Hungary, like all 27 countries of the European Union (EU), is obliged to arrest and hand over individuals under international law, which are subject to ICC. However, if Hungary no longer has membership, they are not obliged to do so.
Prime Minister Orban, a right-wing nationalist who often rejects against EU policy, had rejected the arrest warrant and Netanyahu invited to a four-day visit anyway, according to which Israel reports on the Hungarian support for Trump’s plan for ethnic cleaning of Gaza.
Several human legal organizations have pushed Hungary to maintain international law by arresting and spreading Netanyahu to the ICC after reporting his visit in Hungary.
“Prime Minister Netanyahu is a suspected war criminal who is accused of having used hunger as a method of war to intentionally attack civilians and crimes against the humanity of murder, persecution and other inhuman actions,” said Erika Guevara-Rosas, head of global research, attorney and politics of the amnic troops, in a recent recent.
Pink called In Hungary, to take measures against Netanyahu and to emphasize that “every trip he undertakes to an ICC member state that does not end up in his arrest would encourage Israel to commit further crimes against Palestinians in the occupied Palestinian territory.”
This is the second trip abroad by Netanyahu since the ICC the arrest warrants against him. His first trip was the United States – a country that withdrawn ICC membership in 2002 – in early February to meet the US President Donald Trump, who announced his plan at that time.
Even before the arrest has visited Washington several times since October 7, Netanyahu has met a worrying contrast of applause from both out-of-touch and sold-out congress members together with outraged Americans who protest against the war criminal on the streets.
The withdrawal from the court, which all 27 EU members belong to, would bring leaving a law about the parliament, which is dominated by the Fidesz party of Orbàn and would probably take up to one year.
Orbán invited his Israeli counterpart to attend the day after the ICC, which was based in Haag, the only constant global tribunal for war crimes and genocide, which was described by Israel as politically motivated and fueled by anti -Semitism.
The Netanhayu government has also claimed that the court has lost its legitimacy by issuing the arrest warrants against “a democratically elected leader of a country who has the right to defend themselves” after the attacks October 2023.
Hungary said that the process of withdrawal from the International Criminal Court will begin, hours after the Israeli Prime Minister. Benjamin Netanyahu – Subject of an ICC arrest command – came to an official visit to the country.
The announcement was made shortly after Netanyahu, who had had an international arrest warrant for war crimes in Gaza since November Budapest Airport in the early morning hours of Thursday morning by Hungary Minister of Defense.