Brazil’s Lula discharged from hospital after brain hemorrhage surgery | Politics News

Brazil’s Lula discharged from hospital after brain hemorrhage surgery | Politics News


Doctors say the left-wing leader has been granted permission to work while he recovers at home after being hospitalized last week.

Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva has been released from hospital after emergency surgery to treat a brain hemorrhage.

The 79-year-old Brazilian leader delivered brief remarks upon his release on Sunday, a few days after his release rushed admitted to the Syrian-Lebanese hospital in Sao Paulo for headaches.

“I live here, well, with the urge to work. And I’ll tell you something I always said during the campaign. I am 79 years old, I have the energy of a 30-year-old and the enthusiasm of a 20-year-old to build this country,” Lula said.

Doctors said Lula would continue to recover from his home in Sao Paulo. He can walk and hold meetings, but has been advised against international travel for now.

The medical team said that after further examinations, the leftist leader should be able to travel domestically, including to the capital Brasilia.

Brazil
A handout image released by the Brazilian Vice Presidency shows President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva walking with his neurosurgeon at the Syrian-Lebanese Hospital in Sao Paulo, Brazil (AFP)

Lula has undergone two operations While he was in hospital, both aimed to block blood flow to parts of his brain to prevent bleeding. His personal doctor had described the procedures as “routine” and “minimally invasive,” requiring only sedation and no anesthesia.

His neurologist Rogerio Tuma reported last week that Lula’s test results were “normal.”

Lula, who was sworn in as president in early 2023, suffered trauma to the back of his head after a fall at his home in October. At that time he received several stitches. He restricted his travel after the fall.

“Disrespect for democracy”

In his speech on Sunday, the President also gave his first answer to this arrest by General Walter Braga Netto in connection with investigations into a suspected coup attempt.

Braga Netto, who was defense minister in right-wing President Jair Bolsonaro’s government and the former leader’s vice president in the 2022 election, was arrested on Saturday after his arrest officially charged last month, along with 35 others – including Bolsonaro himself – of allegedly plotting a coup to keep the former president in power after his re-election defeat in 2022.

“It is not possible for us to accept disrespect for democracy and the constitution,” Lula said.

“And we cannot accept that in a generous country like Brazil we have high-ranking military officials plotting the death of a president, his vice president and a presiding judge of the Supreme Electoral Court,” Lula said.

Prosecutors have not yet filed formal charges against Braga Netto, although authorities have said his arrest was related to allegations that he obstructed the collection of evidence.



Source link

Spread the love
Leave a Comment

Comments

No comments yet. Why don’t you start the discussion?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *